Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day Two and I'm a Little Pooped

Well, I gotta say, yesterday I had this nutty sort of energy about me that didn't allow me to sit still for any amount of time. Today though, I'm a slug. I've had to do some reading from other bloggers who have fasted and apparently I'm feeling about the way I should on the second day - crappy. LOL


The process of fasting helps flush out all the nasty stuff you put into your body and in doing so, it can make you feel as though you have a flu or something of the sort. The good news (or so I read) is that in a few days, that will be replaced by unmitigated joy and feelings of good health. Those are the days for which I wait. 


While I wait, I focus on the good. I've had bouts of hunger and real aggravation of not being able to just walk into the kitchen and eat something. In all, we eat pretty good around our house. But in trying not to eat anything, I realize how delicious a buttery cracker with peanut butter would be. Stop that. I know that even though I am hungry at times, I don't really know the depths of starvation. God has blessed me with an abundance of food. So much food that I had to commandeer the hall closet to hold "overstock". Much of the world would never know what that is like. Thank you, Lord, for the favor. Walk away from the pantries. Stop staring into the refrigerator. Stop and thank God for all He does for me and for all He will do with me during this fast. 


So how long will this fast be? Got me. I don't really have a plan. I think I'm really happy I began documenting it because it gives me a layer of accountability. Maybe God's using my pride for something good here. You see, my pride would never let me tell others about something that I couldn't possibly stand by and do. Somehow not putting a number of days on it helps give me that little bit of an out, a way of showing myself some grace. But maybe there are other plans in the works. We'll see. I'm back to an hour by hour basis.


I did come up with a new recipe today that I have to share. Give it a try! Even if you're not fasting, it's a cool & refreshing drink on a hot summer afternoon. I had it this afternoon after being out in the sun for a couple hours. It really gave me a boost to get some things done before I collapsed for a couple hours of rest. Which reminds me, God reminded me through another blog post one of my favorite scriptures.  “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28) Go easy on yourself. You do nothing alone if you let the Lord into your life. :)


Summertime Pick Me Up
1. 1/2 a cantaloupe, (I scooped the seeds and peeled)
2. 1/2 a cucumber
3. 3 strawberries
4. a couple sprigs of mint


My cantaloupe had been in the refrigerator so it was nice and cold. You could probably add ice to it if you like, but I didn't give it time. It only made about 10 oz of juice and I drank it in about 10 seconds flat.  DELICIOUS.







No comments:

Post a Comment