Saturday, September 17, 2011

Breakfast of Champions



I don't know about you, but I LOVE breakfast! Without question, it is my favorite meal of the day.  Plus, once again I have bread that needs a job, so I decided to put it to work. While I am not a fan of French toast, my boys love it. Since it's my hubby's 50th birthday week, I decided to make him something he loves for breakfast on his work-from-home day this week. French toast it is then. 
The thing about French toast is that you've got to take your time. Low & slow, baby. Low & slow. Everything - from the very beginning has to be done slowly if you want the absolute best, most delicious results. Now, I tend to plan for 1 less egg than the number of slices of bread I intend to cook. In this case it was 4, so I used 3 eggs. Add to that a 1/3 cup of 1/2 & 1/2 (that's what I used anyway because it's what I had on hand), 1Tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla & a sprinkling of cinnamon.  I use a deep dish pie plate because it's the perfect size for my family.Whisk it until it's well blended.


OK. French toast on the way for my men. My son offers to cut up a banana for me. Oh! Sure, that'd be great! Thanks for offering. Then he wants to know where's the preserves & where's the peanut butter. Huh? OH riiiiiggghttt... He's not forgotten the recipe from one of his kid cookbooks. Let me tell you, this is a French toast I can sink my teeth into!


As you can see, I have 4 slices of that beautiful bread my child made. I used the one with sugar sprinkled on the top, for obvious reasons.  Now, get some peanut butter, bananas, & fruit preserves. Make yourself a pbutter/banana/jam sandwich. My son likes strawberry preserves the best, my hubby had guava preserves on his.
After you've peanut buttered, banana'd & jellied your bread slices, slap 'em together  and put the whole sammich in the egg mixture.
WAIT! Don't just flip it over. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then, ever so gently so as not to spill out the deliciousness, turn it over and let it soak  a bit. You can save time if you can put both sandwiches in at once and let them soak up all the goodness. 
While the bread is taking a bath, put your griddle on a very low heat to begin warming up. Add to it a light coat of vegetable oil - maybe a Tbsp, but be sure it spreads evenly over the surface of the pan. Once the second side is pretty well soaked, most of the egg mixture should now be part of the bread. Very carefully lay it on your pre-warmed griddle. Any egg mix that's left in the pie plate, can gently be poured on top of the toast to soak up the last little bit.
VERY LOW heat
The trick is to keep it low, cook it as slow as you can. It requires patience - trust me this is not my best attribute. 
This may take a little bit, but don't walk away. Wash some strawberries or prep your favorite fruit & get it on your plate. In about 5 minutes, you're going to need to turn it over and slowly begin the other side. Once you've flipped it over (again, carefully) watch it to be sure it's cooking slow enough that the bread begins to puff up a little bit & stops looking wet.


When it's golden brown on both sides, put it on the plate, drizzle a little bit of REAL maple syrup (not that corn syrup/water kind),  & give it a dusting of powdered sugar.
Your family's going to LOVE it! Even if you don't like French toast, you've really got to give this a try. It is fabulous!!!


Have a beautiful weekend!  Eat some fresh food & enjoy the process of feeding the ones you love!  

No comments:

Post a Comment