Thursday, October 27, 2011

Road Food

Good Morning, All!!!


My family and I just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon.  I've been there several times and I can honestly say, I never get tired of the place.  Its absolute beauty is ever changing with the movement of the sun and the change of seasons & I never grow weary of its majesty.
This trip was a little different for us because this time my hubby and I got to do something we haven't done in 11 years - take a road trip sans kiddo.  It was like we were newly weds again. We could stop (or not stop) whenever we wanted and we got to eat at our favorite little restaurant in Flagstaff.  When we were first married, we made the trek from St. Pete, FL to the Grand Canyon and happened upon a little place in Flagstaff called La Bellavia.  It is my very favorite "local" place to eat.  As a matter of fact, it's pretty much my favorite restaurant of all time.  So if you're ever in the area, please make a point of stopping for breakfast or lunch. We've been going there for 14 years and have never had anything but a fantastic experience every time.   It's where hubby discovered his favorite, albeit different breakfast - Trout & Eggs.
The trout is pan fried to flaky perfection. The coffee is delicious. The pancakes are fat & fluffy (even without smiley faces) and the service is sweet.  I had a California Benedict, which is an English muffin topped by delicious roasted turkey breast, poached eggs, avocado & buttery delicious hollandaise sauce.  SO YUMMY!
Because of our distaste for fast food, we always make it a point to stop in a little local eateries whenever we get the chance.  This one never lets us down.


Once at the canyon, there's no such thing as major corporations and the food on site is tastilicious. We love the Bright Angel Lodge & it's homey comfort food.  I had a ham/turkey sandwich with root vegetable chips, while Matt had a chili boule. Both were quite good. Bright Angel is another place we really enjoy for any meal of the day.

Our dinner experiences were not so good, but that's because we ate at (or tried to eat at) the hotel we were staying in and the hoity toity restaurant ($25/plate) across the street.  The food at our hotel was absolutely horrible, yet it gave me ideas for things to make at home and blog about at a later time. The hotel across the street came with high marks and the menu looked delicious, but the server was so miserable, the 9 of us got up and walked out before we even got to order dinner. That exodus led us to a place called We Cook Pizza & Pasta which turned out to be pretty good and much more friendly to a rowdy group like ourselves.  As we were walking up, I recalled I had been there some 20 years ago where I'd had the best beer of my life.  It was only a bottle of Budweiser, but I had just spent 5 hours hiking in the Grand Canyon so it was the best beer I'd ever had.  Anyway, the food was good, prices reasonable and atmosphere noisy and family friendly.  My kind of place for hanging with some of my favorite people.


That's it for now.  Now that I'm home, I'll get back in the kitchen. I've got lots of ideas, but I think I'm going to dedicate the next few weeks to soups & sandwiches.  The weather is finally cool!  YAY!  So keep an eye out for some body warming yummies.


Until then, love the ones you feed!



No comments:

Post a Comment