Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cherry Chops?

So I was looking for something different for dinner. I get tired of the same stuff all the time. Sometimes I just stand and stare into my pantry trying to figure out what in the world is in here and what can I do with it?
I spot  the dried cherries. Oh my goodness, they are so tangy, tart, and tasty!  Hmmm...I've got pork chops planned.  I know pork eaters like applesauce (or just apples) with their pork chops, but I've never really gotten it.  So I wonder, what about cherries?
I also have these lovely acorn squash.  My son is going to hate dinner tonight. Sorry buddy, but tonight I'm feeling adventurous.  Oh and I hope you're not too hungry because sometimes my adventures take a while.  Better plan for an hour tonight.  Here's what you'll need:


4 thick cut chops
salt/pepper/garlic
coriander seeds
1 cup dried cherries
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1 cup cabernet
2 cups chicken broth
onion
mushrooms
acorn squash
butter
cinnamon


First things first.  Let's get some seasoning on those chops so they can sit for a bit coated in deliciousness.  Sprinkle kosher salt on both sides of the chops.  In your mortar, put the peppercorn, coriander seeds, about a Tbsp of olive oil, and 3-4 cloves of garlic. Smash them with love with the pestle until the garlic is all broken down and your peppercorns/coriander seeds will burst open with flavor.
Massage each of your pork chops with the rub, making sure each one is packed with flavor.  Set aside on a plate while you get your squashes ready for the oven.
Preheat your oven to 350 and give your squash a quick wash.  Here's my take on cleaning squashes - no, you're probably not going to eat the skin.  BUT you are going to slice through them and any bacteria on the outside will be forced inside.  Call me paranoid, but that's the way I feel about all veggies, whether I'll eat the skin or not.


And which knife are you going to use?  That's right - the biggest one you have on hand.  For me, it's my 12" chef's blade. (Hi, I'm Heidi and I'm a Knife-aholic.)  Use the right knife for the job. This job calls for a big one.
Once you get the blade through the flesh of the squash, get your fingers out of the way!
Put them in an oven-safe dish and add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of the dish to help with the baking process.  Sprinkle them with cinnamon, pat with butter, put a small amount of chicken broth in each one (maybe a couple Tbsps) and put them in the oven for 45-50 mins.

So you'll notice in the first photo, I only have 2 medium portabellas on hand.  That's kind of a bummer, because I love them and 2 isn't really enough, but if you slice 'em nice and thin they'll do the job.  Also, do not throw out the stems!  For heaven's sake, there's flavor in their little stems so be sure to mince them up too.
Next you'll slice up your onion and throw them all in a large skillet to saute on a low flame.  Oh man, does that smell good!
While you're letting the onions & mushrooms sweat, let's get your cherries soaking in some liquids to help plump them up.  Put them in a bowl and add to them 1 cup of wine & 2 cups of chicken broth.  I've started buying the little 4 packs of wine with screw on tops for cooking.  They're perfect in size and don't go bad. Also, you can go ahead and add your balsamic vinegar and honey.  Let them sit while you get your chops in the pan.




Brown chops lightly and flip 'em over to brown the other side.
After each side is browned, remove everything from the skillet and set aside on a platter.  Be sure to leave the brown stuff on the bottom of the skillet.  You're going to deglaze the pan when you add the liquids and the flavor will be insane.  So turn up the heat and let's get this sauce on the road!
Bring all this up to a pretty heavy simmer and cook it to reduce at least by half, possibly a little more.  While the temp is coming up, use your favorite wooden spoon to scrape up the bottom of the pan.  By now you'll have such a ridiculously delicious aroma happening, the troops will definitely be stirred.  The cherries should be plumping up almost to their original state. Oh my!  The smell is to die for!  


Once you've reduced the sauce, put the chops, onions & mushrooms back in the skillet and cook until completely done.  The inside temperature of the pork should be 165 degrees.  Once it reaches that temp, get your plate ready.  Take your squash out of the oven, get your chop there with it, top it with the onion/mushroom/cherry mixture and drizzle a generous amount of the sauce over it.  


Take your time eating it, and for heaven's sake be sure to have some bread on hand for moppin' up all that juice.  You won't want to lose a drop of it!




Enjoy your adventure and love the ones you feed!




No comments:

Post a Comment